Sunday, March 27, 2011

Don't think about it. Just keep moving forward.

"Highrise, veins of the avenue.
Bright eyes in subtle variations of blue.
Everywhere is balanced there
Like a rainbow above you.
Streetlights glisten on the boulevard,
And cold nights make staying alert so hard...
For heaven's sake, keep me awake
So I won't be caught off-guard."


Yep, more Owl City. I swear, their music does wonders for my psyche.

Campus security has been informed of an attempted mugging from a tall, thin guy in a suit, although they were kind of suspicious about why I couldn't put a face to him yet somehow also knew he was bald. Heh. I also told a few friends to be on the lookout for certain things. Not listing what those things are, nope.

It's... a strange thing. I've noticed that when this sort of thing first happens, it is our first instinct to isolate ourselves... either out of fear of being disbelieved or an attempt to keep the danger from spreading, I suppose. But that reaction doesn't just apply to encounters with It - victims of rape or muggings do it too. Or people who witness a murder or other tragedy. Or even people who are simply depressed.

Why do we do that to ourselves? Why do we run and hide from the world at the first sign of some perceived weakness? Do we fear rejection or resentment from our emotionally stronger peers? Has it been so instilled in us that we must punch through our troubles on our own that we reject help even when it's offered? Are we simply unwilling to admit that we need help, need support; that asking for help is the same as admitting your own incompetence?

I am incompetent. But while stupidity is fatal, ignorance can be cured. I'm still learning. I will continue learning. It's the only thing I can do at this point; it's been that way for a while. End of story.

Otherwise, a big thank you to everyone who commented. Even if our first instinct is isolation, support from others helps so much more than anyone ever realizes. I... really don't know any way to say it that hasn't been said already.

For now, though, back to work.


Our dear Informant has been less helpful than I had hoped for, although I don't think I can hold that against him. Multi-dimensionality is a bitch, apparently. He did reveal some things though, things that were not related to my original questions... which, I think, is what he actually wanted me to ask about. Well, assuming he was actually referring to me specifically in that last bit, I will try to ask the right questions next time around.

Although how everyone completely overlooked kanic acid as a replacement cure is completely beyond my comprehension! I mean seriously people! Just because a lot of people didn't particularly like Jay doesn't mean we can just ignore all the research he did for us. Core Theory may or may not be a load of crap, I haven't decided yet, but the Sages at least did their jobs. Yeah, kanic acid is dangerous, but there are... one, maybe two other ideas for a cure floating around in theorydom, completely unreliable and untested. Until we get clearer answers, I say we go with what we've got.

That said, I strongly encourage the relevant people to go and get those clearer answers. Just sayin'.


Some other things that may be extrapolated from Informant's answers:

Dimensional bleeding is a fact.

The "veil" between worlds is becoming unstable, which is what allowed Informant to communicate with us.

Said veil will soon be pulled back entirely, and permanently. According to both Informant and AmalgamationSage, this would be a very, very, very bad thing. Very bad. Sage in particular used such creative terminology as "devestatingly important", "a million billion times worse", and "every mythical nightmare you never wanted to be real being dropped in our laps". I remain unsure if it'll be quite as bad as all that, but given who Sage is, I'm inclined to take his word for it.


Next up, the situation with Zero.

Please, for the love of god, people, stop flipping out on him! Yeah, he's gone a little batshit, I'll admit that. But do you honestly think that yelling at him about what he's become will help the situation even one iota?! No. This requires delicacy of the highest order, and you short-fused people are only going to make it worse if you keep this up.

Speak gently, and use logic. If you see him, and he is actually trying to kill you, then maybe it's time to use a bit of force. But here on the blogs? There's no reason at all to be anything but calm around him.


Finally, Morningstar.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that... you don't really scare me. Yeah, I know who you are, I know what you've done, but... I don't know. It's stopped having any effect. It didn't have much of an effect to begin with, but whatever fright you used to instill in me is long gone now.

It is not actions that rouse an emotional reaction from me, Morningstar. It is intent. The state of the villain's mind. It takes a particular breed of insanity - the exact right combination of sadism, manipulation, attention to detail, and apathy - to send a chill down my spine. You... don't have it. I care enough to want to help you out with your Hesperus problem, if only for Tensor's sake, but I don't care enough to fear you.

My appologies if this revelation came as a disappointment.


That's it for now, I suppose. I'll be taking my video camera with me to school from now on. I won't film myself constantly, oh no. That would only lead to paranoia, not to mention make me highly consipicuous. But if I'm ever alone on the streets somewhere (which I really don't plan to be, but things do tend to happen), I'll switch it on as a precaution.

Later guys. Be safe.


And thank you. Really.

4 comments:

  1. Compared to He That Is, what is truly scary in this world? Do not fear the weapon, fear the wielder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember: Morningstar's new names are interchangeably "Quisling" and "Lucy Ricardo."

    ^_^ Just something to keep in mind. That and the fact that you're awesomely competent, and I can't see it any other way.

    And that said, I have a cunning plan. I don't think we'll get to USE it unless we get a break soon ... we'll talk about it online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so late to the party. x.x Epic fail on my part.

    I'm so sorry about...well, you know. At least Micheal's okay and you're okay. But still...

    I'm still freaked out by the whole Zero thing to be honest. And Daniel's...well, he's serious. I keep trying to explain to him that we might be able to help, but...he's just as scared as I am. But not of Zero, of loosing everything again.

    Also, Owl City = win. ^^

    ~Alora

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sage: Understood. I've got the okay to leave tonight if you want. Just remember: if they ask, we spent the night at Danielle's.

    @Alora: No worries, you've got enough on your plate. ^^ As for Daniel, it's perfectly understandable. But if you're nervous about it, I suggest keeping the mood light and calm whenever you can. It might not help him keep his head on straight when the time comes, but it certainly won't hurt.

    ReplyDelete